domingo, julho 01, 2007

Can you Imagine this?

This post shall be written in English so that it can be read by people all over the World, for I am so utterly shocked by what I just read, I must share it with as many people as I possibly can.

According to Desmond Morris, and he is not the kind of man to make up silly stories, in the US, when John Lennon's legendary song "Imagine" is played on the radio, the line "and no religion too" is often expurgated. Worst even, sometimes it is substituted by the line "and one religion too".
How can one country exist under such an obses
sive religious fundamentalist regime, and still believe they are the homeland of justice and democracy. How is this sordid act of artistic mutilation any different from the Taliban destroying ancient statues in Afghanistan? I don't want to go on bashing Americans, as I know that many Americans aren't really like that and don't share the views of their leaders. In fact, most of the 47% (or probably more) American citizens who didn't vote for George “I hear God in my head” Bush Jr. in the last election, are utterly ashamed by things like what I have just described. I am just glad that I live in Europe, where freedom is really real, where religious freedom does exist, where people are truly free to move, think and behave according to their will and belief.

Just to give my final thought on this matter, I will leave you with John Lennon’s poem, imagining a better World where we could truly be free.

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today


Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace


You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will be as one


Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world


You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will live as one

Sem comentários: